How to Choose a BMW Restoration Shop
We at North Bay Bavarian love BMWs old and new. We have more than 25 years of experience servicing, repairing, racing, and restoring BMWs. We know that current and prospective BMW owners have many choices when it comes to which shop to choose.
Questions to Ask When Choosing a BMW Refurbishment Shop
- Do the mechanics have experience working on classic BMWs?
- Which parts does the shop choose while rebuilding BMWs?
- Do the employees enjoy antique BMWs in their spare time, or just while at work?
- Does the shop specialize in newer models or older models?
- Will the shop restore the vehicle to its style preferences or your style preferences?
- Can the shop refurbish the car while meeting or staying under your budget?
- Does the shop have a documented reputation for successfully restoring antique BMWs?
Better to Buy a New BMW or Restore a Classic?
There is no simple answer to this question. Old BMWs and new BMWs each come with advantages and disadvantages. In both cases, you are purchasing a luxury performance vehicle and, as such, North Bay Bavarian asks you to consider a few things.
- How easily do you want your shop of choice to be able to source the necessary parts?
- New BMW models will likely have all the parts readily available
- It may be tricky to source original parts for older BMW models
- How often do you expect to drive the vehicle?
- Barring unforeseen circumstances, you can likely drive a brand-new BMW from coast to coast without issue
- An antique vehicle might have solid bones, but its resistance to damage after extended driving may not be that of a newer model
- How much do you want to pay?
- A 2019 BMW 3 Series can run for about $46,000
- A 1985 BMW 635csi can be sold for around $18,000
- What aesthetic suits your style?
- If modern, rounded edges call out to you, you may want to look into a freshly manufactured car
- If sharper, pointed edges are more your speed, a classic BMW may be in your future
Regardless of what type of BMW speaks to you, the expert crew at North Bay Bavarian can keep your ride running fast and running smooth. We love to service, repair, and restore ultimate driving machines. We will never sell you anything you don’t need! Give us a call, and we’d be happy to talk about your prospective BMW.